July 4, 2008 marks the 60th Anniversary of our Broadcasting Association with WVCH 740AM Radio. We praise the Lord for this.
Marcus Hook Baptist Church (MHBC) in 1948, under the leadership of its Pastor, the Rev. G. Harold Hill, went on the air with a one-hour broadcast of its Morning Worship Service from 11:00 am to noon on Sunday, July 4th.
In 1948, a penny postcard was mailed to the MHBC church family as well as to folks in the surrounding communities, promoting the "On the Air" event from the sanctuary.
The broadcast was live and unrehearsed from the Church auditorium, with engineers from the Radio Station coming to the Church, in all kinds of weather, each Sunday morning until the new church building was occupied in 1971. The new building was equipped with a radio room operated by engineers of the Church, including Mr. Carl Hyde, Mr. William S. Cooper, and Mr. Richard Fisher. Men such as these transmitted the Service from the Church Auditorium to the Radio Station. Mrs. Beatrice Downs was at the piano for the first broadcast, and Mrs. Mary Jones was the organist. There has been an almost uninterrupted series weekly since 1948. The present Pastor, Rev. Jim Carroll, directs the broadcasts at this time.
We are grateful to Radio Station WVCH for their services and for the happy relationship with the managers throughout 60 years. Especially with Mr. Tom Harvey Moffit for at least the last 35 years.
As we soon begin another year of live broadcasting from our auditorium, it is with the earnest prayer that the Word of God shall go forth in mighty power to bring the lost to Christ as Savior, to bring a challenging message of love and healing for backsliders, and to bring comfort and edification for God's children who by reason of illness, afflictions, or other circumstances are not able to attend the House of the Lord. The letters, cards, and testimonies received through the years have indicated that the Lord has been pleased to use this avenue of ministry to achieve His purpose.